Sunday 27 March 2011

Croydon calling!

I must be well and truly in the right frame of mind to become a dad.  Today, David, Maggie and I took a family trip to Hastings for lunch (apart from the fact that we didn't actually arrive as the was a big accident on the motorway so when we finally got moving after an hour we went to Royal Tunbridge Wells instead) and at some point in the journey, I decided to was time to ditch the Saab Convertable and get something more family friendly, like a Golf or a Ford Focus.  The whole 'broody' thing has been there for ages anyway so that's nothing new to any who has spent any time in my company.  But yesterday when I was on the bus into town for a reunion, I sat on the top deck and saw into an adventure playground with kids running around and mums and dads taking a moment to breath as their little monster (translated little loves) ran around in wild abandon.  I wanted to get off the bus and join in but I think I would have looked a little bit weird without a child companion.  It made me think about of all the things we could do together, the places we could go and the amount of energy I going to have to try to muster up each morning!

Earlier in the week I had a really good chat with a lady from Barnados.  She was lovely and really bubbly, we had a really good chat and she put me at ease.  She asked all the usual questions, why do you want to adopted? have you thought of other methods? etc etc etc and very quickly invited us along to an information session.  I told her we had just been to one at Croydon but of course if we are thinking of going with Barnados, we have to follow their processes.  We also spoke about the pros and cons of going with a charity and local authority.

On Friday we got a letter from Croydon council who said that following us attending the information session they were going to assign us a social worker who would come and see us at home. It's very exciting and a little scary.  This really is the first step.  If they visit and find us suitable we really will be on the ladder.  Then it's the preparation classes and then the assessments.  I am a little scared that they may not think the flat is suitable but then why shouldn't they? There is a spare room, a nice big sofa and it would be easy for us to keep an eye on the kiddie as the flat is 'that' big.

After getting the letter from Croydon and after speaking to David about it later that evening we decided it was probably better for us to go down the local authority route and give Barnados a miss for now and see where Croydon takes us.  We still have the other local council on the back burner.  We should hear from them in August at which point we will either be well on the way with Croydon or we'll be waiting to move forward with TH.

On another note, I'm starting my primary reading this week.  I think I'm going to be reading with a little girl called Maisie.  I hope she's a little sweetie cause I'm really looking forward to it!!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment