Monday 11 April 2011

A glimpse into the future

We're still waiting for Croydon to assign us our social worker.  We had a two week window in which to hear about who we were getting but as yet..... nothing.  I know it's early doors but it's really frustrating as we are so keen to get on with it.  The process is long enough with delays right at the beginning.  Well, hopefully we'll find out this week and then the work can begin.  Fingers crossed, or I'll be on the phone again!!!

On Saturday we went to Theo's 3rd birthday party.  Claire put me in charge of the bouncy castle.  'Easy', I thought to myself.  25 little loves, me and a bouncy castle....No problem.  Ah, right!! Who am I trying to kid. 
If truth be known, it actually wasn't that bad.  I tried my best to interact with them as they bounced, trying to get them to compete and see who could bounce the highest.  For the most part they warmed to me fairly quickly although a couple of them did look at me like I was the grim reaper.  It all went a bit pear shaped when one of the little girls bounced and landed on a little boys head.  He cried, then she cried, then I felt like crying as the parents quickly turned up to remove their children.  So David and I then retreated to the kitchen, we're good in there, and proceeded to help serve the kiddies their sandwiches and sausage rolls as the adults stood around the edges happily chatting and enjoying a moments of grown up time.  But it was good fun and a real glimpse into the future.  Hopefully one day we'll be the ones throwing a kiddies party or maybe our little one will come home with an invite to a little friend's party and we can be the ones drinking a cool beer (more likely a glass of wine) and chatting with the other dads (more likely with the mums).  Personally, I can't wait!!!

Had another reading session with Maisie today.  She's such a lovely little girl and she's really starting to relax with me now and she's starting to talk a lot more.  I showed her how to split a word up when she can't read it and she has started to demonstrate it and always gets the word.  That's brilliant as it really makes me feal like SHE is getting something from our time together.  She's starting to ask me what words mean as well, which means that not only is she reading but she is taking in new words.  But it's the Easter holiday's next week and I won't see her again for four weeks so let's hope we can pick up where we started.

So let's hope that Croydon get in touch, because if not....what am I going to write about next week????

No comments:

Post a Comment