Sunday 25 March 2012

Loveable handfuls

My two older brothers (and their prospective partners) blessed the family by having one son and five daugthers between them, the first being born when I was 16. 
In the early years I was the dutiful uncle, always on hand to babysit and quite often the foundation in an uncle/child tower.

But in those early days (the kids are aged 12-22 now) it was always my uncle duties, and playing, that were at the forefront of my mind.  I never really paid any thought to actually parenting them, afterall that was what their parents are for.  This whole adoption process has obviously made us think about what kind of parents we would be and how we would parent, so it was a real test/eye-opener when we went out for the day with my younger brother's children and their mother.  They have two young boys aged 2 and 4 who are both totally cute and loveable but have bundles and bundles of energy, not at all uncommon I'm sure.  Although we weren't looking after them by ourselves it was a real lesson in looking after two young energetic kids.

We went to Farmyard Funworld, which in itself is an activity that we would never normally be part of our weekend.  As we walked around about the farmyard animals and play activities we both smiled at each other in the knowledge that very soon this could soon be very much part of our weekend and in the not too distant future.  By the time we got home I was knackered but loved every single minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment